Are you confused in what is the difference between SEO and SEM. Well SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation and SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing. Many people think both SEO and SEM is same and there is no difference between SEO and SEM. Actually that is not the case. SEO is part of big umbrella SEM which is internet marketing using paid placements, contextual advertising and paid inclusion. In simple terms, SEO is one subset of SEM.
Main Differences between SEO and SEM
- SEO is free (except for time spent) if one is willing to put efforts by own while SEM is really costly. Every action costs in SEM operation.
- SEO is long term solution for building reputation and bringing quality traffic. SEM is short term solution.
- SEM is fast solution while SEO is slow solution. Using SEM, one can have instant traffic to website but doing same by SEO takes time.
- SEM have guaranteed result but same can not be said about SEO.
- SEO pays over long time many many times once online reputation is established.
- SEO efforts last forever while SEM last as long as SEM budget allows.
- While SEO alone can pull traffic to business but it takes times. Hence it better to go hand in hand with SEM. Till SEO efforts start to fruity it is not a bad idea to use SEM to drive traffic.
- SEM also helps in SEO as traffic to website and visitor stickiness
SEO must form an integral part of SEM. If SEM only relies on paid placements, contextual advertisements without SEO effrots, traffic will die down as soon as SEM operations stops.
Hope this little article helps you understand difference between SEO and SEM.